The Buildings

Tunbridge’s Congregational Church building is shown from Potash Road, in an early glass plate photograph from the late 1800s. (Tunbridge Historical Society photograph)

Tunbridge Church properties
The Tunbridge Church was formed in 1978 when the Congregational Methodist and Baptist congregations merged, creating a community church with three active church buildings and a parish house. The Tunbridge Historical Society now maintains the North Tunbridge Baptist Church building.

The Congregational Church (top right) in Tunbridge Village was built in 1839 to replace the burned 1837 building. The congregation was started in 1792. The wheelchair-accessible church hosts services from September to June, as well as weddings and funerals.

The South Tunbridge Methodist congregation was established in 1810. The brick church (second photograph) was built in 1833. It was the center of religious life in South Tunbridge as well as social life in its Community House built next door in 1921.

The North Tunbridge Baptist Church (third photograph) was built in 1870 for the Baptist Society that was established in 1850. It hosts August worship services.

The circa 1830 Parish House (bottom), once home of the Congregational ministers, was converted from a rental house to church use for congregational and community activities in 2001.